WordPress is a free, open-source website creation platform. On a more technical level, WordPress is a content management system (CMS) written in PHP that uses a MySQL database. In non-geek speak, WordPress is the easiest and most powerful blogging and website builder in existence today.
WordPress is an excellent website platform for a variety of websites. From blogging to e-commerce to business and portfolio websites, WordPress is a versatile CMS. Designed with usability and flexibility in mind, WordPress is a great solution for both large and small websites.
What is a WordPress Website?
A WordPress website is any website that uses WordPress as its content management system (CMS). WordPress powers both the backend of the website (the interface where a user logs in to make changes or add new content) and the frontend (the visible part of the website that your visitors see on the web).
Here are just a few examples of the types of websites you can build with WordPress:
- Blog – A blog is a special type of website devoted to sharing thoughts, photos, reviews, tutorials, recipes and so much more. Blogs usually display the most recently-published content first.
- E-commerce website – An e-commerce website allows you to sell goods or services online and collect payment via an online payment system. You can download and install a WordPress e-commerce plugin to extend the default functionality of WordPress so you can have an online store on your website.
- Business website – Many businesses will benefit from having an online presence in the form of their own website. If your business needs a website for customers to learn about your company and what you have to offer, WordPress is an excellent option. Customers can contact you, ask for a quote, schedule an appointment and much more.
- Membership website – A membership website allows you to put content behind a paywall or an account login. To access pages or posts, users must login or pay for the content. WordPress can also handle membership websites with additional plugins.
- Portfolio website – Show off your artwork, design skills and more with a portfolio website built on WordPress.
- Forum website – A forum website can be a helpful place for users to ask questions or share advice. Believe it or not, many forum websites run on WordPress.
- Event website – Hosting an event? WordPress makes it easy for you to share your event details and sell tickets.
- E-learning website – Students can take online courses, track their progress, download resources and much more from an e-learning website. With a special kind of plugin called a WordPress LMS plugin, you can offer online courses from a WordPress website.
- Wedding website – Share the details of your big day with a wedding website built on WordPress. With an array of WordPress wedding themes, you can get a website up quickly and easily.
The possibilities are endless when it comes to customizing a WordPress website. WordPress themes and plugins can add new design options and added functionality. Check out WordPress.org for free themes and plugins.
Powerful and empowering
Style it your way
Design anything you imagine. Start with a blank canvas or choose from a wide variety of themes and patterns. Customize every detail, from color and fonts to layouts and functionality.
Plug in and extend
Make WordPress do whatever you need it to. Add a store, mailing list, portfolio, social feed, analytics; you’re in control with over 55,000 plugins.
Own what you make
Your content, your design, and your data always belong to you. With WordPress you’re free to tell your story, grow your brand, or simply be yourself.
Create with confidence
Built by an open source community with decades of experience, its passionate contributors are committed to keeping WordPress as stable and secure as possible.